Friday, January 6, 2017

Mid- Day Blog Post- Because Lunch

Mid- Day Blog Post!

As I’ve been grocery shopping lately, I’ve been happy to notice that manufacturers and retailers have been LISTENING to us!
I am seeing more and more offerings that are healthy, lower in preservatives, super easy to prepare…and as they become more prevalent…cheap!
My newest obsession is the frozen cauliflower rice.  For the perhaps uninitiated, cauliflower “rice” is not really rice, but very finely shredded cauliflower, that when cooked, really closely resembles the texture of actual rice.
It doesn’t usually come flavored, but that’s the fun part.  It’s a great vehicle for whatever you like.  Currently, I am on a fried “rice” kick. I like to add some other frozen veggies, a little low-sodium soy sauce and chopped scallions for a healthy, fully vegetarian lunch that takes about 5 minutes from start to finish. 
You could definitely buy a raw head of cauliflower and make the “rice” yourself, but this is actually a cheaper (and faster!) option ($1.99 for a bag of Organic Cauliflower rice at Whole Foods).

Here is my 5 Minute Fried “Rice”:
Portions: This would normally feed 2 humans, but I was hungry and ate all of it, and didn’t feel the least bit guilty.

What you need:
-1 bag frozen cauliflower rice (if you don’t have a Whole Foods nearby, Green Giant does this as well)
-half a bag of frozen veggie mix (I used the one with corn, peas, carrots and green beans).
-A splash of olive oil ( this is my preferred cooking oil, but coconut or grapeseed or whatever you like is fine- I’m not a stickler)
-2 scallions
- 1 TBSP Low – Sodium soy sauce (give or take depending on taste)

What to do:

1.       Heat the oil in a (preferably) non-tick type pan.
2.       Add the cauliflower rice, stirring frequently, you really just want to heat it up. 
3.       After about 2 minutes, add the remaining mixed veggies and keep it moving. 
4.       If it starts to stick or seems to dry, don’t hesitate to add a splash of water. 

5.       After about 4-5 minutes total, add in the soy sauce and stir, and top with scallions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment