Sunday, January 19, 2014

Detox chili- Better than it sounds. Promise.

I love the idea, especially in winter, of a super satisfying Sunday night meal. I also had the need to reset  and sort of detox my body after a weekend of fun, shall we say.  It would seem as if those two objectives would be at odds, but that doesn't have to be the case. 

I've been making this chili of sorts for a long time.  I call it a chili because of the thickness, consistency and flavor profile that I shoot for.  It is totally vegetarian, it's super cheap to feed a family with, it freezes well, and it can be thrown together in about 15 minutes and served in about 45. Also, I would bet you already have the majority of these ingredients gathering dust in your pantry.  

White mushrooms act as the "meat" in this dish.  When they're sliced and cooked and mixed with the other ingredients, they take on a very earthy, meaty consistency, plus mushrooms are naturally high in protein and potassium and are very low calorie. Black beans are also added thicken to and boost the fiber content of this pleasing pot.

Finally, before I go ahead and post the actual recipe, just a note about spices.  I use the term "palm full" when describing seasoning quantities. 

 I think seasonings and spices should always be eye balled and tasted and adjusted frequently through out the cooking process.  I have found many times, even if I follow a recipe to a "t" that I still have my own preferences.  If you like it spicy, as I usually do 
( spices have their own detoxifying properties!), go heavy on the cayenne and red pepper.  If you're a little more timid, start small...taste and adjust.  


Sunday Night Veggie Chili
(Serves 4)

Ingredients:
-2 8 oz packages white mushrooms; sliced. ( baby bellas are great too)
-1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
-1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
-2 15 oz cans black beans
-1 bag frozen corn
-1/2 one large yellow onion
-1 large red bell pepper
-2 cloves garlic
-2 palm fulls Cayenne pepper
-1/2 palm full red pepper flakes
-2 palm fulls cumin
-1 TBSP olive oil
-salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Start by coating the bottom of a good sized pot with the olive oil.  Dice the onion and the pepper and add to the oil and cook until soft and translucent, add garlic now.  If you haven't already, slice the mushrooms and add to the mix, keep cooking on medium heat until soft.  Start seasoning now...salt and pepper to taste and start to add your desired levels of spice and seasoning and adjust later.  Add all of the tomatoes, and the beans ( make sure you drain and rinse them first).  Finally, add the corn and let the whole mix cook up until a simmer, about 10 minutes or so on low heat.  Make any final seasoning adjustments and you're ready to serve!

Feel free to top the chili with light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and some chopped scallions.



Cheers!
Til' next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment